Herman Weissker, Inc. is a leading company in the underground construction and engineering industry. We perform engineering specification design/development and the construction of large utility infrastructure projects in the electricity, telephone, oil & gas, water, sewer, storm drain markets. We are headquartered in Riverside with business units in Palm Desert, Bakersfield, Long Beach and Visalia performing work throughout California.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Safety Technician based in Bakersfield, Ca.
The Safety Technician is responsible for administering the Company safety/health and accident prevention program and to ensure all employees have a safe environment in which to work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administer and audit the company Environmental Health and Safety Program
- Conduct announced and unannounced occupational safety and health inspections of company facilities, equipment, materials, operations and job sites to ensure compliance with corporate safety policy, and all federal, state and local regulations.
- Conduct incident investigations by root cause analysis of all accidents and near-misses involving company or sub-contract employees
- Develop and Implement Corrective Actions identified in Investigations from Near Misses, Accidents or Incidents
- Maintain records of training or certification(s) for project specific training requirements
- Collect and maintain Safety Data Sheets for all chemicals brought onsite
- Conduct monthly inspections on all safety equipment as required by company or client procedure
- Maintain site PPE inventory and safety related equipment
- Develop site or job specific safety plans as needed
- Present daily site safety meeting as needed
- Audit job safety analysis documents for each crew, each day.
- Attend daily, weekly, or monthly safety leadership meetings or joint audit walks held by the customer
- Stop any unsafe acts or processes that are dangerous or unhealthy
Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Safety, or a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge (examples include but are not limited to 5 Years Journeyman experience with 3 years safety program experience or Advanced Safety Certificate through National Safety Council, etc.). Recognized safety certification (CUSA, CSP, etc) preferred. Minimum 3 years safety related experience in the construction industry. OSHA 10 Construction required.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid class C California driver’s license
SKILLS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Thorough understanding of and ability to enforce federal, state, local and company regulations.
- Ability to recognize hazardous situation and implement corrective measures essential.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Must have extensive knowledge of applicable safety regulations, regulatory requirement and industry standards for construction and general industry; knowledge of EPA, DOT and NEPA standards.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, possess good organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word & Excel and have knowledge of spreadsheet applications.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk; stand and sit for prolong periods. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Must be able to operate a motor vehicle.
- Working conditions consists of a temperature-controlled office, outside elements such as rain, cold, and heat when driving from jobsite to jobsite or attending meetings, etc. Noise levels are moderate to loud depending on jobsite.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees assigned to this position. This description assists in ADA compliance, and is not intended for any other purpose such as compensation. All employees must comply with company policies and applicable laws. Management retains the right to assign additional duties periodically and the discretion to add or change the duties of this position at any time.
Herman Weissker, Inc. offers a very competitive pay and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401k.
Herman Weissker, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer