The future you want is within reach.
At PCL, we build the places where life happens and find camaraderie in the process. We’re a community of builders committed to building better communities. That’s why we’re always looking ahead, and not just to the next project or what’s next in our industry.
We’re also looking at what’s next for you and how we can help you build a career you’re proud of. At PCL, you are more than just an employee. You could be part of a team that works hard, plays hard, and makes a difference in your community. PCL offers competitive compensation packages, and a chance to be an owner in our 100-percent employee-owned company. We not only reward you financially, but give you challenging assignments and an encouraging work environment which promotes personal and professional growth.
As an HSE Coordinator in San Luis Obispo, CA you will contribute to our team by
- Monitoring and assisting with implementation of project HSE plan and regulatory requirements.
- Assisting in conducting and identifying when project-specific training is required, which may include weekly training topics, hazard specific training, and the HSE Operating Procedure (HSEOP).
- Leading, participating in and providing information for HSE meetings.
- Providing project team with project-specific information and statistics to develop trends and assists with the creation of trend action plans.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of Hazard ID tools (e.g., Construction Hazard Assessment (CHA), Job Hazard Analysis (JHA), Pre-job Safety Instruction (PSI)). Evaluates for completeness and follows up where appropriate.
- Conducting and documenting project HSE inspections.
- Verifying that corrective actions are implemented.
- Assisting with identification and monitoring of appropriate site Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Assisting with the implementation of the emergency response plan.
- Assisting with the monitoring of project security requirements.
- Assisting with the implementation and monitoring of the environmental plan.
- Participating in environmental inspections.
- Gathering, reviewing, and providing input on subcontractor documentation. Monitors subcontractor safety compliance.
- Verifying that equipment and tool inspections are being conducted and documented as per the program.
- Notifying Project Manager, Senior Construction Manager and direct supervision of any incident and assists with the investigation.
- Monitoring work injury and ensures modified work is followed and properly documented.
- Assisting in the implementation, monitoring, and support of the solar project’s HSE Plan, HSEOPs, safe work practices, and any other HSE-related practices.
- Adhering to role-specific responsibilities outlined in the PCL HSE Manual.
- Developing and maintaining strong customer focused relationships with all stakeholders.
- Other duties as required.
What you will bring to the role
- Holds safety designation such as Diploma of Work Health and Safety and/or Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety.
- 2 years’ relevant experience, water/wastewater construction is preferred.
- Working toward postsecondary diploma/degree in OH&S is preferred
- Demonstrates knowledge of construction processes and terminology (e.g., blueprints and scheduling).
- Ability to coach and mentor others.
- Knowledge of applicable OH&S and environmental legislation.
- Ability to implement HSEQ processes.
- Demonstrates the ability to influence the project team regarding HSEQ responsibility.
- Ability to provide and apply conflict resolution techniques with subcontractors.
- Effective communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to develop, influence, and maintain effective stakeholder relationships.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and internal operational systems, with a strong aptitude for adopting new technology
PCL is an innovative, employee-owned company comprised of people who find passion in their profession and take pride in doing great work every day. Our work powers the infrastructure and utilities that are essential to daily life and our projects are the scene of vacations, careers, education and healing. We are consistently ranked among the best companies to work for because we are committed to supporting and developing our teams.
The PCL Companies celebrate diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or veteran status.